W2 - 401A - Box 14

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author

Wondering how to get rid of the 401A (required employee defined benefit plan) amount from box 12D on the W2?

By adding the 401A deductions to PR27, line 14, the correct amount is shown in box 14 but it is also being shown in box 12D, which is not for 401A plans.

The tax status is 401K which taxed the deductions correctly but is placing the amount is box 12D, which is incorrect. Anyone?

Also, if we ask MHC to do the suppressing of the box 12D amount (they have no 401K so this would be ok to suppress there), what would this do to their PR299 that they send to social security? Would this require a manual manipulation of that file?

stephanie
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      Not sure how you'll get around that, Jodi - if the tax status is 401(k), it IS correct to show in box 12D - I'm not sure I've ever even heard of a 401(a) plan, so regretfully, I have have no suggestions. Good luck
      SueT

I have a similar situation. There is no '401a' option for Plan type/category (BN15) or deduction code tax status (PR05). Our EE deduction code was set up with Tax status 04-401(k), which then printed those dollars as Box 12 Code D. We deleted the Code D records out of the w2.csv file before uploading it to MHC. We haven't tackled the problem with the EFW2 file; hoping to set up new codes and reclass the dollars to the new code before filing electronically.

I logged a request with support for "BN15 DC plan set up for ER 401a match to EE 457B, including deduction codes that work with plan and correct tax status". So far, the response is "DC plans employee / company match deductions by design will have the same tax status." Our employee plan is a 457b; the company match is the 401a.

Jodi, let me know if you come up with something. We are on Version 9.01.9. 

You are not authorized to post a reply.