Lawson 10.x upgrade - New Environment or upgrade existing

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We are planning our Lawson 10.x upgrade.  We currently run Lawson 9.0.1.12 environment and am wondering if we can install LSF 10.x over our existing environment or if we should be creating a new environment.  Is this a requirement? 

Even if it can be installed inline (over our existing environment) I have concerns regarding cut-over timing.  Does anyone have experience in regard to the length of time.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

Carl.Seay
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      You can run parallel (new environment) or in-place (same environment). Parallel is generally recommended. With in-place you will be doing most of the install during downtime, and then also have validate everything during downtime. It is very difficult, and maybe impossible depending on your environment, to do in-place over a weekend. With Parallel you can setup the new environment entirely and validate on your own schedule. Then go-live is re-migrating the security and data.

Best of luck,
      Carl
      JimY
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        When we went from 9.0.0 to 10 we used a new environment and then ported the data over using the Lawson utilities. We only had the procurement suite so it wasn't as bad as those that had the full suite. Our upgrade was dome by consultants, but it went pretty well. The weekend was sufficient to get up and running.
        prb238
          The 9.0.x to v10 upgrade is a source/target upgrade and it is recommended that you install a separate v10 environment on new hardware or new virtual machines. An in-place upgrade is where you would attempt to install v10 over a v9 environment - I've been involved in over 30 v10 upgrades and none of them have tried that approach. You could install a v10 environment "next to" a v9 environment but it is cleaner to just have it separated out.

The sizing for the core LSF10 environment is the same as v9 because the technology is identical. The differences come in with Ming.le which is an additional component which should sit on a separate virtual machine and IPA/Landmark which also should be separated out into its own virtual machine. All Landmark apps need to go on the same virtual machine so the Landmark and LSF environments can be federated to allow the Infor Security Services (ISS) tool to work properly.

I have combined Ming.le and LSF10 on the same vm for a very small customer (2 core users) but for most it should be separate.

I have done sizing recommendations for many customers so if you have any questions let me know and I'd be happy to help.

John Henley
            The new environment is much cleaner. Assuming your 9.0.x environment is several years old, you probably also want to take advantage of newer/faster hardware. This is particularly true for Windows environments especially when virtualized and/or existing hardware can be easily repurposed, etc.
            Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
            John
            Kyric
            Basic Member
            Basic Member
              Yes, correct new environment / server for V10 is recommended and work all the time.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.