SQL Server 2005 Performance

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Lawson ENV 803 SP7, Financials 803 SP11.  Recently migrated to SQL Server 2005 as a step toward LSF9.  Since then, performance for the most part has been abysmal.  A function like BR42 now times out.  Once any load has been put on the system, response time degrades significantly.  Pursued Lawson GSC about BR42 but we discovered ourselves that the wrong index (at least from our perspective) is being used.  Checked all the usual suspects -- the MICROSOFT file, the SQL Native Client version matching the SQL server version.  Lawson Financials S3 uses OLE DB but other than that I have no knowledge of what to look for.  Didn't show in test probably because of volume of test transactions was low.  Comments?

MTFF
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      JY, are you saying your system is now
      Lawson Env 803-SP7, Apps803-SP11, and communicating with SQL Server 2005

OR

LSF9, Apps803-SP11, SQL2005?

The problem with BR42, I would suspect, if using the wrong index, was using the "wrong index" on SQL 2000 as well.

We did our migration as follows.

Migrated to a new machine on LSF9 (kept the Apps and SQL Server the same)
      Move from SQL Server 2000 to 2005
      Upgraded Apps from 803 to 901

We had no issues
      Roger French
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        If you've narrowed it down to the wrong index in SQL, then you can fix that by doing some systems and/or db things. Looking at the MICROSOFT file and the SQL client version wouldn't really reveal much.
        Have you done a analysis of the database using Lawson tools? Example:  build and/or reorganize your database? I don't know if that's already been done on your system, or when/how the system became in that condition you mention. What about your ODBC connection? Tried turning off security to see if it's a security issue?
        If you would like some assistance, contact me off line and we can discuss.
        Roger

Posted By JY on 05/05/2009 10:11 AM

Lawson ENV 803 SP7, Financials 803 SP11.  Recently migrated to SQL Server 2005 as a step toward LSF9.  Since then, performance for the most part has been abysmal.  A function like BR42 now times out.  Once any load has been put on the system, response time degrades significantly.  Pursued Lawson GSC about BR42 but we discovered ourselves that the wrong index (at least from our perspective) is being used.  Checked all the usual suspects -- the MICROSOFT file, the SQL Native Client version matching the SQL server version.  Lawson Financials S3 uses OLE DB but other than that I have no knowledge of what to look for.  Didn't show in test probably because of volume of test transactions was low.  Comments?

JY
        Advanced Member
        Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. 

When I said the wrong index for BR42, we used a test program supplied by the Lawson GSC to use index ATNSET8 instead of ATNSET4 -- the difference being that the former uses ATNSET8_SS_SW as the main key and the latter uses ATNSET4_SS_SW.  The BR42 process calls ACTRANS depending on the value of ATNSET8_SS_SW.  However it's true that this worked under SS2000 even if I think it uses the wrong index. 

So right now we're on ENV803SP7, APP 803SP11, and SS2005.  Our next step is to migrate to a new app server with LSF9.  It's a staged approach.

Now we're getting time outs on back office transactions like AP20.1, AC40.4, etc.  A restart of SQL Server alleviates the situation for a few hours and this is being done until the root cause is found.

MTFF
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            Ok, so this is looking more like the SS2005 config issue rather than Lawson config.

you should get this tool, https://www.lawsonguru.co...nitor-for-LSF9.aspx. It may help you isolate the issue better.

For example, QL Server 2005 Activity Monitor: Connections/queries that are competing for resources, These typically correspond to “queued messages” on the Lawson server.

That will give you an idea where to look on SS05 for more info.

John Henley
              - If you do queries in SQL2005 directly, how is the performance?

- If it's good, and I'm assuming the SQL2005 is on a different server, then you need to look at how the Lawson apps server connects to the SQL, both from a HW/network perspective as well as from a client/server perspective.

- have you looked at Lawson's timedstats feature?
              Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
              John
              You are not authorized to post a reply.