Lawson and SQL Server 2008 DBA Class

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
    I am looking at sending our DBA to the Lawson and SQL Server 2008 DBA class being offered by Lawson.  He has SQL experience, but has never worked with Lawson.  Has anyone taken the class or know of it?  Is the class worthwhile?  I don't want to waste his time or our money if the class is not going to improve his knowledge any better than learning it on his own by digging through documentation or other means.  Thank you.
    Greg Moeller
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      In my opinion: If he knows SQL already, he won't gain much from a "Lawson-specific" class. Lawson just uses the database like any other application would. There's nothing special about the way Lawson uses the database, and he can get most of the information via this site (through the ERDS) or he can get the information through the Lawson utilities dburf and dbdoc.
      Jimmy Chiu
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        Pick something else to send him to will yield better ROI.
        JimY
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          Thank you guys for your input. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to hear from others. Anyone else care to chime in?
          Roger French
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            I agree with Jimmy. Pick something else. 

From the Lawson side of SQL server, a few things come to mind: unless you're actually installing or upgrading your own lawson system, I don't see much practical value of the Lawson sql dba class. If your system is already installed and up and running, you need to know, among several things, how SQL and Lawson talk to each other and how they are configured,tuned, etc. from an admin perspective.

From just the SQL side of things, sql dba should know how to properly administer the sql databases.
            You are not authorized to post a reply.