LSF Critical Notification 020410-01

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

We have been running LSF 9.004 in a very stable state for some time now and have taken the approach of not patching unless necessary. From how this notice reads the patch bundle will be needed for applying patches created after 2/2/10 but only references LSF 9.005 and newer. Since Lawson is no longer patching 9.004 I'm wondering if this is a moot point for us. We have many interdependencies between our currently installed version mix: SQL 2000, Websphere 6.1.0.15 and the LBI we are running so moving to a new version of LSF could be a fairly extensive exercise. Is anyone else in a similar situation and how are you approaching this CN? Thanks.

Milo Tsukroff
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      For you, probably moot. Lawson no longer will issue patches for 9.004 and older. If you want support you have to go higher; currently 9.005 is the lowest supported. Since you won't get any patches for 9.004, perhaps you can wait to do the update until you move to 9.007 or 9.01x.

On the other hand, you aren't supported at 9.004. If you want to stay up with the version levels, it's time to 'bite the bullet'.
      Jimmy Chiu
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member

In my scenario, because I don't want to be in the same situation you are in. I have a seperate set of Lawson development server running the latest environment (9.0.1.5) with my existing application version (9.0.1MSP1) for example. I am constantly cloning my productlion database over to my development database to run tests. This solves alot of questions that I don't have confirmed answer to... (the development server actually was running my current production environment and i performed an upgrade to 9.0.1.5)

So when the time comes, at least I will know the environment upgrade will go smoothly. all the productlines are mirrored also between my production/test/development. So that weeds out any error caused by application end.

You would want this set of development servers on virtualized platform also. VM snapshots saved me hundreds of hours.

JY
        Advanced Member
        Advanced Member

We are also running Lawson LSF9 on a virtual server -- VMWare.  When taking snapshots, do you first stop Lawson and ADAM?  Does it matter if Lawson is up when the snapshot is taken?

Jimmy Chiu
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            I stop lawson service prior to taking snapshots. Just so I can say there is no transaction running. eventhough VM snapshots supposed to be reliable when taken on the fly.
            wintergreen
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member
              Joe, I'm in the same situation as yours. We are running 9.0.0.4. As my understanding, we have to upgrade to 9.0.0.7 above to be able to install the cumulative patch bundles for the new tooling system. Is it true?
              wintergreen
              Veteran Member
              Veteran Member
                Jimmy, I'm also interested in what you mentioned. I don't know VM snapshots. Do you mean, you mirror your database from production to development? Currently, I use the expsysdb to export database from LID and use bldmsf2000ddl to reload to test server. How long does it take to complete the cloning?

Also, is it okay if I upgrade EMSS to 9.0.1.2 but my LSF is 9.0.0.4? Thanks!
                Joe O'Toole
                Veteran Member
                Veteran Member

Question 5 on the related FAQ lists LSF 9014, 9015, 9008, 9007 and 9005 as affected by this so I'm assuming anything newer than 9.004 would need it. As stated earlier 9.004 is no longer being patched so a moot point. We don't have the time and resources to run a second Lawson box, real or virtual for the sake of testing Lawson environment patches. Perhaps when we implement our DR hot site this will be possible. While Lawson's position on this is that it's designed to improve the the customer experience, the near term result is extra work for most shops who are comfortable running their existing release.

wintergreen
                  Veteran Member
                  Veteran Member
                    Joe, thanks for the explanation. (9005 seems only apply to system i) I'm thinking to upgrade because we have encountered some PDF report having blank pages on every other pages. Lawson tech support said we need to upgrade to 9.0.0.7. I don't know if upgrade will fix the issue but it seems that this is our goal for this year. Luckily, we have test servers to play around but I still feel uneasy every time I need to apply new things on the production server. How about your MSP? I am thinking to upgrad MSP to 9007 first.
                    Jimmy Chiu
                    Veteran Member
                    Veteran Member

wintergreen: VM snapshots only create restore points for the application server. it is not the backup of the database. For cloning my lawson production database to my lawson development database, i use red-gate sql backup. It is fast and it compresses. I do a full backup of production database then restore/rename to the development database.

as for the time needed to clone the databases:

38:09 minutes to run a full backup of my production database (368GB), it compresses the backup to 29.8GB (Much more manageable)

1 hour 3 minutes to restore the production database into the development database.

I am expecting to cut the time by at least half once i rolled out my new SQL Server cluster.

EMSS 9.0.1.2 is supported with LSF 9.0.X and APP 8.1.0.X - 9.0.X, make sure you install the CBL also before EMSS.

andrew
                      Veteran Member
                      Veteran Member

Patch bundles only available for 9.0.0.8, 9.0.0.7, none for 9.0.0.6. I was told by support, than when 9.0.0.9 arrives, you can install over 9.0.0.6 - with all patches included. this will mean me taking a big leap of faith going form 9.0..0.6 to 9.0.0.9, what are your thoughts ?

My idea is update to 9.0.0.8, install patch bundle and wait for the 9.0.0.9..?

release date for 9 is may ?

Joe O'Toole
                        Veteran Member
                        Veteran Member
                          Does anyone have SP4 of 9.004 or a file that contains PT 178611? Lawson removed it from our download section and I need to apply PT 178611 to fix the ctrl-shft-o issue that was broken in 9.004.591. The response from the GSC is to install 9.005 which I did not want to do at this point in time. There is supposedly another workaround to address this (KB # 5243840) but it looks very quirky and involves creating a new IOS Form ID in Tokendef and a new security class that the users would need to be assigned to. Thanks.
                          You are not authorized to post a reply.