Updating LSF Core Technology 9.0.0.3 - 9.0.0.5

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member

Hi there,

Has anyone made the jump from one core technology level to another?  I want to update from 9.0.0.3 to 9.0.0.5.  Lawson has instructed me to follow the "Installing Lawson Core Technology Updates" chatper inthe Core Technology Installation guide.  The guide is quite vague and does not instruct what files to download (I know the patch files to download, but the core 9.0.0.5 files?).  Does anyone know where I can get better documentation?  Does anyone have any words of advice? 

Thanks!

Stephen

jojo.serquina
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      it's actually a lot easier than you migh think. the hardest part would be redeploying the ear files (in websphere). other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

are you in windows environment?
      StephenV
      Basic Member
      Basic Member
        Thank Jojo! Actually I'm running an iSeries environment.
        John Henley

It should still be pretty straight-forward, however I don't know the specifics for iSeries.

When you install LSFCT, make sure you also install all post-release patches. Also, keep the other LSF-based products at the same release level (i.e. Portal, Design Studio, Process Flow Designer, Security Admin, etc. etc.)

The process for installing LSF9, Portal and Studio is pretty easy.

- Shutdown websphere

- Use two Java commands to do the install

> jar -xvf xxxx.zip

> java -jar xxxx.jar

The installation walks you thru the process and does all of the work. The only intervention required is for the LSFCT base release, where you will need to manually update the LDAP via ldapmodify, and will need the LDAP password used during the LSF9 install.

- After you've installed LSF 9.0.0.5 + patches, you need to delete and re-deploy IOS, BPM, and Lawson Security via websphere.

- Restart websphere

I've done it a bunch of times on Windows and Unix, and it's about 4 hours or so worth of work, most of it clicking and waiting...

Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
          John
          Greg Moeller
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            I don't know the specifics for iSeries, either, but I wholeheartedly agree with John. Its a bunch of clicking and waiting while the machine does most of the work.
            After redeploying, you sometimes must regenerate the plugin file, too, so we just make that a part of our routine and do it whenever the redeploy is done.
            jojo.serquina
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member

also, look at this lawson article on redeploying the ear files. Article Id: 5166005

StephenV
              Basic Member
              Basic Member
                Thanks John!
                StephenV
                Basic Member
                Basic Member
                  Thanks for your help, all! I'm setting it up for early next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
                  Stephen
                  John Henley
                    Re: Updating LSF Core Technology 9.0.0.3 - 9.0.0.5 (6e02a438-d67c-45b7-a3ff-8fc124de40ec) <!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love for you to share how the process is done on the iSeries. My assumption is that everything is installed via an IFS filesystem and "looks" like UNIX (that's how it was done prior to LSF9, right?)
                    John Henley

John
                    StephenV
                    Basic Member
                    Basic Member
                      Your assumption is mostly correct, John. The.zip or.jar files are loaded into a temporary installation directory on the IFS. For the application patches we just finished, you then log on to the iSeries, enter the Lawson environment that you are updating via a command line call [CALL LAWENV ENVNAM]. Once in the environment you then enter the QShell UNIX environment via command line call [QSH] and execute all of the installation commands from there. I understand with the technology patches we use an XWindows interface that will assist in interfacing with the UNIX shell. I'm still experimenting with the XWindows software and LDAP browser. I'll have more details on those next week.

I can't speak of how it was done in version 8, but in version 7. 2 the UNIX environment was not used on the iSeries. The objects were all iSeries native and the finance staff accessed all screens through either the iSeries green-screen interface or through LID.

Stephen
                      John Henley
                        Re: Updating LSF Core Technology 9.0.0.3 - 9.0.0.5 (6e02a438-d67c-45b7-a3ff-8fc124de40ec) <!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

Thanks Stephen. That is very helpful!
                        John Henley

John
                        DanaB
                        Basic Member
                        Basic Member
                          I am just about to perform the same upgrade for System i (iSeries), and just wanted to know if anyone has had any complications or problems resulting from the upgrade now that some time has passed.

Thank you,

Dana
                          Ben Coonfield
                          Veteran Member
                          Veteran Member
                            I'm not on 9.0.0.5 yet but I did upgrade from 9.0.0.3 to 9.0.0.4 + additional patches. The only issue that I can specifically attribute to this is a RSS issue described in KB article 578123.
                            DanaB
                            Basic Member
                            Basic Member
                              Thanks Ben, I appreciate it.

The business has been a little gun-shy about upgrades and patching due to some issues we have encountered in past activities.
                              StephenV
                              Basic Member
                              Basic Member
                                Hi Dana,
                                We never actually made the jump to 9.0.0.5 as intended. We had 140+ application patches to install, plus 9.0.0.3 tech updates. When we reviewed the documentation to go forward with 9.0.0.5 it recommended upgrading Websphere and Portal. We didn't have time to do all of that, so it has been pushed back.

One thing I found even with the 9.0.0.3 tech patch install, however is that it was much easier when I attempted to do the patches in Batch mode (p. 60 in the Lawson Core Technology Installation Guide). This mode avoids having to use the X-Windows software. I had substantial problems getting the X-ming software to work, and my tech team had issues with us using free- or share-ware software as part of the installs. The batch mode worked wonderfully, only on the green screen and with only some input.

Steve
                                DanaB
                                Basic Member
                                Basic Member
                                  The batch mode is much better, I agree. Did them one by one the first time to get the hang of it, but I have since been doing them all (App and Env.) in batch mode.

I will have to look into the Portal upgrade, that is a good point; our Websphere patches will be up to date before the upgrade.

We are looking to perform the upgrade in September, so I will post any interesting outcomes then.

Thanks Steve!
                                  Pasa
                                  Basic Member
                                  Basic Member
                                    Is there any documentation for the Patch Batch installation method? I am currently performing these one by one...not cool...
                                    Evad
                                      The Batch Patch install can be found on the LCT install guide Chapter 6 Installing Patches in Batch Mode 65
                                      Pasa
                                      Basic Member
                                      Basic Member
                                        Well I ran the command "java -jar LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34163.jar -b -p" but for some reason it keeps showing me the parameters for using java. Maybe I am doing something incorrectly?
                                        Pasa
                                        Basic Member
                                        Basic Member
                                          Well actually I ran the command "java -jar LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34163.jar -b /lawson/CTPInstall/installed/patches_installed -p -c" and it acked me to unxip the files....once I complete that step...

The following will not be installed for the listed reasons:
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P27937.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P33792.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P28645.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P29056.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34001.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P33874.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P28410.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P31523.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P32244.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P33585.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P29731.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P26457.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P33833.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34163.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P30986.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P31202.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P27820.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P27185.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P32949.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P30503.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P33389.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P29772.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P30111.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P28216.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P29886.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P31186.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P30346.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P32390.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P26691.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P31794.jar : Does not contain the selected package.
                                          LSFCT_AIX_09000006P29209.jar : Does not contain the selected package.

No patches will be installed to null

ANY IDEAS?
                                          EvadT
                                            You don't have a package name defined. try this
                                            java -jar LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34163.jar -b /lawson/CTPInstall/installed/patches_installed -p LSFCT

LSFCT -package name used if you're going to install an environment patch
                                            - is you environment instance name e.g PROD, TEST...
                                            EvadT
                                              some of the infos are filtered: should be

java -jar LSFCT_AIX_09000006P34163.jar -b /lawson/CTPInstall/installed/patches_installed -p LSFCT ENV_NAME

ENV_NAME - is your environment instance name e.g PROD, TEST...
                                              You are not authorized to post a reply.