Crystal 2008 export to excel

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
    We just updated our Crystal Reports from 8.5 to Crystal 2008.  We export several of our reports to Excel, and I am noticing that I only have two Excel options
    Microsoft Excel (97-2003)
    Microsoft Excel (97-2003) Data-only
    I am finding thata they do not export nicely to Excel.  ONce we export, we usually need to sort & manipulate the data, but when I extract from Crystal Excel will not let me sort unless I highlight the entire file go into my Excel options and uncheck merge cells.  I did not have this problem in my old version.
    Any suggestions on how to get a nice clean Excel file out of Crystal 2008?
    Matthew Nye
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      First off, which one are you exporting to? Data-Only is youre best bet. Secondly, you probably have formatting issues with fields over laying. Also make sure you case youre fields in the data type you need otherwise this could cause you problems as well.

8.5-> 2008 is a pretty big jump. Thats 5 major upgrades so there have been a lot of changes. Im actually surprised you were able to open your 8.5 in 2008 Typically they only support compatibility for 3 versions prior.
      If any of my answers were helpful an endorsement on LinkedIn would be much appriciated! www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-nye/1a/886/760/
      TracyO
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        I have tried using both of them and seem to get the same issue. When I used the data only. I did not get the report headers which on a couple of reports I do need that.
        I am confused at what you are saying to make sure I case my fields in the data type.
        I too am suprised that all my reports converted without any problems from 8.5 to 2008, but it is a big learning curve trying to find all the functions I use
        Matthew Nye
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          sorry I meant "cast" not "case". But more than likely your problem is just the alignment of your fields. make sure all the formulas are in line and the same width and height.
          If any of my answers were helpful an endorsement on LinkedIn would be much appriciated! www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-nye/1a/886/760/
          Chris Martin
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            Agreed about overlapping fields causing export issues. Highly recommend using guidelines in the design to avoid this.
            TracyO
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member
              I do use the guidelines and my fields are not overlapping. When I export to Excel, it is creating different column widths for the header fields than it does for the column headings & data.
              When I try the data only version (which is not always an option for me) It sorts okay, but depending on which option I chose, I either get all columns at the largest field size or all colums at the smallest field size.
              Ideally what I am trying to get is the page/report headers on the file, but the details to be parsed at the correct size within Excel. (In 8.5 the report headings would just be in one of the columns and not make a special size for that particular column/row that held the header)
              Maybe I am just not setting my options correctly.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.