Pharmacy - NDC# vs. Mfg#

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hello - I have built out a few hundred pharmacy items in Lawson & have questions regarding NDC# vs. Mfg#.  While I understand that an item can have multiple NDC#'s based on various UOM, our buyer seems to think that NDC# & Mfg#/Vendor# are interchangeable, so we're at a bit of a standstill.

At this point, I'm only loading 1 NDC# (with Drug Name & Generic Name) per Lawson item.  Also we're not managing to qty/UOM changes.  Keeping it simple at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle Wetzel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      I started out loading the NDCs in the actual NDC field but it wasn't visible for requesters. We switched to putting the issue NDC in the mfg # field. The buyer still has the vendor part number on the agreement (and therefore on the PO) so he doesn't care. The requesters and the person who fills the pharmacy orders can see the NDC on requests this way. Everyone is happy.

Kat V
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        I don't have pharmacy items loaded in my item master - but we're loading the invoices as detail from ABC - so we see them. brupp - your buyer isn't completely wrong - several manufacturers/distributors put the NDC in as the manufacturer number - especially if they want to use a UOM to a contract price.

Michelle - your NDC not being visible to the requester might be fixable. In IC00.5 check to see if NDC Number is 1 (Used) if it's not, you can change it and then run IC180 - it should show in the catalog search then.
        brupp
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          Thanks to you both. Very helpful. One last question - Is IC180 used in conjunction with IC800?
          Kat V
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            IC180 is a Dictionary Update that effects - among other things - the RQC catalog search. IC800 is the Item Master load? If so, then yes, you'll likely want to run a 180 afterwards.
            brupp
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member
              Michelle - Do you put the NDC in IC11 or PO13 or both (in the Mfg# field, I mean)?
              Michelle Wetzel
              Veteran Member
              Veteran Member
                IC11 and let it flow over to PO13's mfg field.
                brupp
                Veteran Member
                Veteran Member
                  Thanks again.
                  You are not authorized to post a reply.