BN106 - 834 file extraction

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member

We have started to look at and test with BN106 to create our HIPAA data files for our vendor. At their request they would like medical, dental and FSA information on the 834 file.

I do see the expected segments for our medical and dental infomation. When I try and pull FSA information I can look at the file and see that there are no FSA segments that they are expecting. I also looked at the program and can see the coding for the various other segments for 834 transactions but none for FSA.

Has anyone else had to send FSA information to their vendor and if so how did you handle doing so?

AnnH
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
      We have done that here but it required code to be added. Also, the way the program is written it will not send medical, dental and FSA under a combined record for the employee. Unless it has changed in a newer version, you will need to add code to process all enrollment records for the employee at one time as the vendor requests. The current code will loop through dental then medical and then FSA, creating 3 separate entries for the employee.
      J Quinn
      Basic Member
      Basic Member
        The BN106 is compliant with the HIPAA834 format for the content. However, the BN106 does not have the header and footer records that must be in the file transmission to your carrier. You will need to modify the BN106 to include these header and footer files. The header and footers include information that is specific to your organization and specific vendor. If you must submit to multiple carriers, you will need to add the fields to the BN106 so that you can populate the correct values in the headers and footers. So, in short, you will want to focus your attention on the header sections specifically.
        Russell Spreeman
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          We also had to hire a programmer to create a proper EDI output file with the information our insurance admin company wanted. Now the job runs automatically every Monday and then an FTP server automatically uploads the file. The whole process is automatic, one less thing to remember to do or get wrong.
          Bill Ianni
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            I've coded this for Delta Dental, BCBS, Cigna and VSP. The formats can be a bit of a moving target and there is always a lot of testing to do before they can accept a production-ready file.
            darwin collins
              FSA, Dental, Vision and Health were in their own "Benefit Type" on BN106. So, you basically have to run a validate and update for each of the different types.
              You are not authorized to post a reply.