Employer 401k match limit

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member
    How can we set up the 401k plan to use the employee's full salary
    for the employee's 401k contribution until the BSI max is reached but use
    $250,000 (indexed each year for inflation) as the max compensationto be used
    for the employer match?

Margie Gyurisin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      If you plan is a contribution type "6" you can enter it in on the BN19.3 that opens up from the BN18.6 (schedule) button. If you have a contribution type "7" plan, you can enter it on the BN19.4 that opens up from the BN18.7 schedule button.
      Mary Porter
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        Margie,
        We are set up as a 6 - match limit schedule. but we created two separate benefit plans to handle allowing a match to continue after the employee had hit the federal limit - one plan has 18.6 set up as 5% match up to 100% of employee contributions, and the other is set up as just a 5% match - how could we have set up only one plan to handle both of these employee contributions? Does the match just look at what the employee is enrolled in and not what they are actually contributing if the employee has hit the limit?
        Margie Gyurisin
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          I think I am missing something.

Do you give employees a company contribution of 5% even when they are no longer contributing?  If I contribute 3% and hit the max, do you give me a 5% contribution?
          Mary Porter
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member
            For us, if they are contributing more than 5% and hit the limit then yes their match continues.
            Bernie R
            Basic Member
            Basic Member

Margie,

Thanks for your response however when I look at BN19.4 I thought the amount
               field was designed to hold the actual maximum amount of deduction and not the
              max salary.  The help text on this field states that the Benefits application
              creates a company deduction with a descending balance.

Jennifer Burke
              Advanced Member
              Advanced Member
                I'm not sure if this question is related to the topic, but here goes! Instead of having a separate catch-up plan, we combine the annual max of $17,000 and catch-up of $5500 into one plan. My question is how do I stop the employer match once a catch-up eligible employee meets the $17,000 so that the catch-up eligible employee can continue to contribute the $5500 while not receiving an employer match? Thank you!!
                You are not authorized to post a reply.