1094-c xml file

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Have anyone tried creating a 1094-c xml file outside of Lawson? We are on Lawson LSF 9.0.1. Any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ricky

The.Sam.Groves
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      As in by hand?

If you go that route, realize that the IRS requires that submissions be tied to a valid softwareID, and that in order to obtain a valid ID, you have to essentially submit valid test files for a number of scenarios. I'm in the middle of doing that myself as we didn't go the Lawson route this year for generating any of the files.

I'm assuming, since it's well after the point where the forms should have been sent to your employees, you already have the data, you just need to work it into the proper format.

It's not that hard as long as you have a good notepad/xml editor, a validator that can handle the complexity of how the IRS set up the schema, and the patience to read up on the IRS's AIR site and a strong working knowledge of something like excel or whatever else you are planning on using to mangle your data.

Your best friends are going to be publications 5164, 5165 and the AIR Submission Composition and Reference Guide and a fair bit of XML knowhow. Not a lot, just the basics.

You'll also need to scrounge around for a tool that can generate MD5 hashes and UUID's for you, as part of the transmission process involves sending over a manifest file with checksums and unique identifiers for the data you are including.

RickyY
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member

Thanks for the response. Do you have a sample of a completed file? Just want to see how its formatted?

The.Sam.Groves
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          Not on me, but if you go to the AIR site and download the schema files, they include sample XML generated from the schema. Now given, the values provided are 100% bogus and in most cases are just the field name repeated. But it does provide you with the correct format and I have run them through a validator and they come up error free.
          RickyY
          Veteran Member
          Veteran Member

Do you know if we have to repeat the employer's information for each employee?

Margie Gyurisin
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member
              Just curious. Why wouldn't you use the Lawson delivered file?
              RickyY
              Veteran Member
              Veteran Member

What version of Lawson are you guys on and what is Lawson's process? I was told by our benefits department that the lawson way didn't work.

Margie Gyurisin
                Veteran Member
                Veteran Member
                  We are on 9.0.1. The final CTP just came out for the xml file generation last week. If you didn't do the 1095s in Lawson, you won't be able to do the 1094s unless you complete the entire process. KB 1650062 has all the KB articles that describe the process. If you haven't taken the CTPs, you will eventually get them as code progresses.

Once things are set up, you just run the reports........ Just that simple !?!
                  The.Sam.Groves
                  Veteran Member
                  Veteran Member

Margie,

We chose to go our own way because the fact that Infor didn't even seem to have started working on an ACA solution till mid-year last year was troubling and concerning to both our HRIS team and our upper management.

And to be honest, watching their process from the sidelines doesn't convince me that it was a bad decision for this year, especially after seeing Infor's responses to people who were upset that Infor's solution essentially pre-decides a number of things for the company that the IRS left open. We hopefully are updating to 10x this year and plan on giving their solution another look at that time. But honestly, this being my first introduction to them rolling out a new 'regulatory feature', I'm not coming away that impressed.

I suspect that next year we'll still be generating the actual form data externally and at most loading that data into Lawson to actually generate the XML file.

Ricky, a complete 1094 file will contain all the information on the 1094 form, plus an entry for every 1095 being submitted, with essentially all the information that was on the 1095. Some information is inherited from the 1094, but not much.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but this is one of those "If you don't know, you really need to just sit down and start reading the material." sort of things. I started work on our process back in November, off and on while between EOY processes and another project.

The AIR site is https://www.irs.gov/for-t...n-return-air-program and for all the IRS and government's image is for being obtuse, the site is remarkable well laid out and easy to use to find the info you need. I strongly recommend hitting it up and reading the specs and publications up vs. trying to piece things together by hand.
                    Margie Gyurisin
                    Veteran Member
                    Veteran Member
                      I hope you entered an enhancement request so Lawson knows they have more work to do.

I'll be the first to say, there is room for improvement on many items, not just this. But, in their defense on this, the gov't didn't issue many final regs until the last minute. Hence the filing delay dates. I still think that is flawed as well.

This solution has served us well, so far.
                      BonBon
                      Advanced Member
                      Advanced Member

Hello,

We set up and tested scenario 7 (followed Infor KB1827828).  And I understand from reading about the required IRS test file that we need to send a test XML that follows a scenario.  I am concerned that I might have misunderstood the requirement; I thought I needed to send 1 file to the IRS (AIR) test site.  But our finance department believes we would need to submit and pass each of submissions 3, 4, 4C, 5, 5C, 7, and 7C. Anyone know? I had read to select the scenario that best fit our company and to use that to send a test XML file.  So is it 1 scenario test or ALL scenarios tests? Thank you!

Linda Singleton
                          Has anyone on version 10 tried sending the BN299 XML files through  the IRS AIR transmission process? We have tried several times with various scenarios, and we can't get a successful transmission.
                          Christine Kam
                          Basic Member
                          Basic Member
                            We are in v10. There are at least 2 more patches to fix the XML file errors
                            Linda Singleton
                              I applied patches CTP 110613 and CTP 111660.
                              TBonney
                              Veteran Member
                              Veteran Member
                                Bonnie,

It is my understanding that one scenario is all that is required to be submitted. Once you receive a successful transmission confirmation, you contact the IRS & have them flip you to a productions status. (All you are testing with this is your ability as the 'Preparer' and/or 'Submitter' to connect & communicate with the IRS site, nothing to do with data or formatting. The file formatting has all been tested between the IRS & Infor, the 'Software Developer'.)

Linda & Christine,

We're on v10 & I have applied all patches, up to & including #111735, which was last updated just this morning. I have subsequently run the BN299 & created the 2 xml output files. However, I have 2 issues, the Employer Name is blank and the Employer EIN is all zeros, in spite of having followed KB1827828.

Has anyone encountered either of these two issues with their BN299 output?

Thanks!
                                BonBon
                                Advanced Member
                                Advanced Member

TBonney,

Thank you for the reply on the number of scenarios we had to submit.

Last week I finally got Lawson Infor to reply to this also.

And we are in V9 and I uploaded scenario 7 without any issues.

Thanks!

Bonnie

BonBon
                                  Advanced Member
                                  Advanced Member

TBonney,

Thank you for the reply on the number of scenarios we had to submit.

Last week I finally got Lawson Infor to reply to this also.

And we are in V9 and I uploaded scenario 7 without any issues.

Thanks!

Bonnie

Linda Singleton
                                      I just applied CTP 111735 - we are running another test so I'll have to wait and see the results.
                                      You are not authorized to post a reply.