9.0.1 Upgrade- A fresh Start

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
    So I was able to get full consensus to do my 9.0.1 upgrade with a fresh start...this time as a true in-place upgrade (instead of building a new system as originally planned). I still plan to ultimately migrate to a new system with Win2k8 64, Sql2k8, WAS7, etc, but this will give me much more time to do the build at a much slower (safer) pace, and possibly get consulting time in on next year's budget as needed..

My plan is to upgrade both the environment as well as the application from 9.0.0.x to 9.0.1.x.

First, any advice, things to think about, etc on this from you all?

Reading through the LSFCT install addendum, looks fairly straight forward. However the first step mentions upgrading my 6.1 WAS to the newest fixpack. I'm currently running 21, and I noticed the old thread here about not upgrading past 21 (again, a fairly old thread). A quick search of Lawson's KB, I didn't find anything...is this still valid, or am i safe in jumping all the way to the current 33?

Mark Ivankovich
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
      We've installed 9.0.1 and have websphere 6.1 running at fixpack 31 when it was the latest fixpack available a few months ago.

Haven't seen any issues at all.

Good luck!
      Jimmy Chiu
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        I would divide it into two phrases.

Phrase I: Env upgrade
        Phrase II: Application Upgrade (App upgrade from 9.0.0.x to 9.0.1.x requires the data promotion)
        JenM
        Basic Member
        Basic Member
          Couple of quick questions on this thread...i'm just starting the whole upgrade project from 9.0.0.6. We'd like to get to 9.0.1.6 on both the LSF/Apps. We have quite a bit on the back-end to upgrade also...Websphere, OS, MKS, etc. (1) if you are upgrading the OS, how is the project not considered an install? We were under the impression that if we upgraded the OS, it was considered an install and we would need a certified installer to do it. and (2) any concerns with the SQL 2008? Our DBA is hearing of some issues (not Lawson related), so we were thinking of staying on 2005. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.
          John Henley
            The environment is a "migration" not an upgrade. The applications are an upgrade.

Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
            John
            JenM
            Basic Member
            Basic Member
              Thanks John. Actually, found your article on the whole upgrade/migration process and found that very helpful. I don't have near the experience that you guys do and the one part that i just don't understand is the OS piece. If I upgrade my OS, wouldn't I be re-installing?
              John Henley

Posted By JenM on 09/17/2010 01:49 PM
                ... the one part that i just don't understand is the OS piece. If I upgrade my OS, wouldn't I be re-installing?

That depends

The preferred route is to build on new hardware, considering that your existing Lawson environment is on hardware that is fairly old, right? It also depends on what platform you're running. For instance, if you're running Windows 2003 x86 and you're migrating to Windows 2008 R2 x64, then that is a completely new install from the OS on up.
                John
                JenM
                Basic Member
                Basic Member
                  You pegged it. That is exactly what we are doing. Thanks for the help, now I'm off to find a cerified installer....
                  John Henley
                    "certified installer" ... hmmm, want my opinions on that topic?? :)

John
                    Jimmy Chiu
                    Veteran Member
                    Veteran Member
                      I say forget "certified installer" if you are on tight budget. There's no official policy from lawson stating your environment MUST be installed by certified installer. (it used to be, that was changed) That's what my team was told last time they went to Lawson Cue. Correct me if I am wrong.
                      JenM
                      Basic Member
                      Basic Member
                        I'm sure that our opinions are one in the same. Thanks for the chuckle on a Friday afternoon.
                        JenM
                        Basic Member
                        Basic Member
                          Jimmy, Lawson was kind enough to meet with me on Wednesday and they did state that I had to have a certified installer to be supported.
                          Jimmy Chiu
                          Veteran Member
                          Veteran Member
                            One person from lawson probably not up-to-date... again, last year's lawson cue told my team we don't need certified installer to do environment install.
                            You are not authorized to post a reply.