Fax Integrator 9.0.0.2 SMTP Error - Unable to connect to the remote server

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
    I'm trying to set up the PO email functionality on the Fax Integrator (v. 9.0.0.2) but I'm running into an issue connection to our MS Exchange server. The integrator log shows this:
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Unable to connect to the remote server
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at FaxIntegrator.EMail.SendEmail(String subject, String recipient, ArrayList attachments, Sender senderInfo, String body)
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Error Sending email to jon.athey@midmichigan.org
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Error sending e-MailTransmission to jon.athey@midmichigan.org FAILED to lawfax@midmichigan.org
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Failure sending mail.
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Unable to connect to the remote server
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at FaxIntegrator.EMail.SendStatusMessage(String subject, String poNumbers, Object attachment)
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_ERROR : Error sending Notification message for 385352-0000-
    10/13/2008 1:57:06 PM : l_INFO : Finished Processing Loop
    10/13/2008 1:57:07 PM : l_INFO : Sleeping

In reality the problem started over two years ago when the failed fax notification stopped. We were getting the SMTP Error 13 at that time and were never able to find the problem. The fax server is running on WinXP and has no email client installed, which I've been told is not necessary. I've got the SMTP server field set up exactly as it's shown in my Outlook client and I'm using my email address in the address field. Help please!

Jon Athey - Sr. Supply Chain Analyst - Materials Management - MyMichigan Health
    Ben Coonfield
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      I suspect that this is a security problem on the SMTP server side. Have you connected to the SMTP server from the particular machine where Fax Integrator is running before? SMTP servers often restrict which hosts they will allow to send email.

Also, make sure that the "from" email address, as well as the recipient is a valid, local email address. Some SMTP servers will reject emails unless it can validate the From address.
      JonA
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        I'm using my address as the sender and it is correct. My email admin has not been able to help. She has verified that she set up security on the exchange server to allow SMTP email relaying from the IP address of the fax server. We turned SMTP logging on for a bit and all it shows is the different IP addresses connecting, sending mail and disconnecting, but we couldn't see any evidence that the fax server even tried to connect. I can ping the mail server from the fax server in the cmd window with no problem. So what could be interfering with the connection?

Should I be able to telnet to the SMTP server?  I tried but unable to connect.
        JonA
        Veteran Member
        Veteran Member
          IT WORKS!! After a lot of searching on the Internet I figured out what the issue was. We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v. 8.0i on all PC's throughout the system. Apparently it blocks SMTP mail at port 25 by default. Once I got with IT to disable that feature, I was able to send a test PO to myself.

Jon
          You are not authorized to post a reply.