Bill Rate Correction question -- BR120

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Basic Member
Basic Member
    Hello, this is my first time posting and I hope I am in the right forum. I am responsible for revising/correcting all invoices at my company and I am having a small issue for which I can't seem to find any documentation in my manuals. Is it possible to correct a bill rate on an invoice once it has been processed through the BR120 run in update? I have only been able to correct bill rates if I add new transactions, but I cannot find where I can correct bill rates once revenue has been recognized. We use bill rate tables (the BR03.1) with all contracts organized by activity -- when we enter new option years for the contract we update this screen. However, there are sometimes last minute corrections to the bill rates after the invoices have been processed. Is this hopeless? Did this make any sense at all? I thank you in advance for your insight.
    John Henley
      Hi Nikki. What you're asking makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, the bill rate (and billable amount) are calculated during AC190 [which is run in update before BR120], so any changes the the bill rate aren't reflected on transaction which have been posted. Are you using apps version 8.1 or 9.0? If so, you can use the 'write-up' capability on BR20 to increase the billable amounts. Another [time consuming, risky] option is to use BR145 and AC145 to "back out" the transactions and reprocess them. I wouldn't do that if you can live with the writeup option. If you do need to do the backout, make sure you have a backup of your database first, and you should test those processes in a test environment first...
      Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
      John
      chasnik
      Basic Member
      Basic Member
        Thanks for your speedy response! I was afraid that you were going to say that. I have tried the Write Up/Down but I didn't want to run it in update because I wasn't sure if it would actually correct the bill rate or just change the amount. Now I have really messed it up because I put two of the contract lines on hold and I can't get them out of hold status (I used BR20.4 -- I thought I had to put them on hold to correct the rates by summary level, which in our case is the contract line). We are using 8.1, I am pretty sure. I just cancelled the invoice using BR21.1, which just cancelled the part not on hold. Is there a way for me to release the two held amounts and then try the BR40 again? Once again, thank you for your help.
        John Henley
          You should be able to use BR40 to change the held transactions to be billable again, and then run BR120 again, and it should pick up all of the transaction. Then use BR20 to write-up/write-down to the new rates.
          John
          chasnik
          Basic Member
          Basic Member
            Thanks, John! I truly appreciate your assistance, this was driving me crazy! I hope there is not a limit on the number of questions I can ask? :)
            chasnik
            Basic Member
            Basic Member
              I just want someone to confirm that I am completely out of luck. There is absolutely no way to correct bill rates once transactions have been posted and revenue has been recognized for them, right? The BR20 only adjusted the billed amount and did not change the rate. We are using billing rate tables, and I thought that if we updated rates in the table, we could then run the BR190 to recognize revenue, then re-run the invoices. However, the BR190 only updates transactions that have not been revenue recognized. Does this mean that I would actually have to credit out these transactions on the AC54 and then add every single one back in as new, to get the invoices to run with the updated rates?
              John Henley
                Well, you're not completely out of luck. I think you can cancel the invoices, which makes the transactions billable, then use AC45 or AC145 to backout the transactions. Then run AC190 again to recalculate [which should pick up the new rates] and repost. Make sure you test a bit first, though, since I haven't done this in a while, and I know that some versions (particularly 8.0.3) have had problems with the AC45/AC145 backout. I still think your best option is to just use BR20 to adjust the invoices (either in total or transaction-by-transaction) and just be done with them...
                John
                chasnik
                Basic Member
                Basic Member
                  Thanks, John, but I think that the battle is over. Both the AC/BR145 and BR45 tell me that I cannot back out transactions since revenue has been recognized, even after the invoice has been cancelled. It just seems odd that there is no provision in Lawson for being able to correct billing issues after posting or invoice creation. The BR20 lets me correct the total bill amount but does not modify the rate, which is essential in government contracting -- it must match the contracted rates. I am doing all of this the long way by crediting out all transactions, correcting the bill rates in the BR03 and re-running the invoices. Thanks again for everything. Until next time...
                  You are not authorized to post a reply.